The accompanying persons will enjoy all the social events of the full registrants: opening reception on Sunday evening, concert on Monday evening, conference excursion on Wednesday afternoon, conference banquet on Wednesday evening, and lunches.
In addition, three excursions are scheduled. Accompanying persons can subscribe for these excursions using the tool below. Depending on the availability a limited number of late registrations can be accepted at the registration desk on Sunday July 8th. The prices of the excursions are kept moderate and are listed below. Upon registration, you will receive an email with payment instructions. Dont hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.
Monday July, 9th University walk through Leuvens town centre: 14h00 17h00
- Guided walk along the historical colleges of the KU Leuven, highlighting the fascinating history of creation and use of the university buildings over the centuries. You will discover the strong connection between the university and the city of Leuven and will learn how the infrastructural needs of a modern teaching institution were combined with the historical walls and buildings, taking into account the prevailing architectural insights.
- Coffee and cake in the M - Museum, Leuven's recently opened museum for classical and contemporary art housed in an impressive complex integrating historical buildings with contemporary architecture.
- Price: 10 including coffee and cake
Tuesday July, 10th Excursion to Bruges: 9h00 19h30
- Known as the Venice of the North, Bruges is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. It was a justified motive that prompted UNESCO in 2000 to include the entire historical city centre on the World Heritage list. Walking along the maze of winding cobbled alleys and romantic canals, you imagine yourself to be in medieval times. The wealth of museums is a striking image of this city's stirring history. Bruges is also home to contemporary culture, such as the new Concert Hall, which is one of the most prominent music complexes in Belgium.
- Excursion includes:
- Train trip to Bruges and return to Leuven
- Visit of the Groeningemuseum
The famous Groeningemuseum shows the rich and fascinating array of artworks from the southern Netherlands (Belgium) over a period of six centuries. Highlights include the world-famous collection of works by the Flemish Primitives, paintings by various Renaissance and Baroque masters, several interesting pieces from the Neo-classical and Realistic periods of the 18th and 19th centuries, milestones from the Symbolist and Modernist movements, masterpieces by the Flemish Expressionists and a varied selection of Post-1945 modern art.
- Lunch in a local Brasserie
- Guided 'world heritage' city walk:
A guided tour through the unique historical heart is a must for every Bruges debutant. From the Market and the Belfry, to the Burg Square, the Beguinage and the Minnewater.
- Boat trip on Bruges canals
You get to see the nicest places of the city from a completely new perspective.
- Price: 55 including transportation and lunch
Thursday 12th July Excursion to Bokrijk: 13h30 19h30
- The Bokrijk open-air Museum brings the past to life. More than 100 authentic buildings with contents and small landscape elements from everywhere in Flanders bear witness to more than 500 years of living and working in he countryside. Interpreters in period costume and craftsmen will bring the past to you and show you how things were done a century ago in the rural Flanders communities of The Kempen, Haspengouw and East and West Flanders.
- Price: 45 including transportation by train, coffee and typical pastry